02/06. Business Records
Record Group Term
Record subgroup for the ALPLM Manuscripts Department for collections of records of Illinois businesses.
Found in 4 Collections and/or Records:
Scope and Content The A. Goodell and Sons Company Records, 1852-1920, consist of 187 letterpress books and other volumes. Of these, 179 are chronologically-arranged letterpress books containing the firm’s outgoing correspondence and business records, 1872-1920. The eight remaining volumes concern a variety of related interests. A letterpress book contains real estate records of A. S. Austin (1852-1855) as well as a few letters of Goodell and his associate, John S. Sheldon. There is also an account book from...
Dates: Created: 1852-1920
Abstract Bookbindery and bookstore in Springfield, Illinois (1855-1857). Proprietor Caleb Birchall opened his first Springfield store, Caleb Birchall & Co., in 1837. Later, he was partners with printer/bookbinder J.H. Johnson (dba Birchall & Johnson, 1837-1841), printer/bookbinder Ensley T. Goudy (dba Birchall & Goudy, 1841-1848), and druggist Thomas Jefferson Vance Owen (dba Birchall & Owen, 1848-1855). He sold his business to Solomon B. Wheelock and Enoch Paine (dba Wheelock, Paine...
Dates: Created: 1796-1860; Other: Majority of material found in 1844-1858; Other: Date acquired: 00/00/1951
Abstract Alton, Illinois hardware store incorporated in 1884 and owned by Hugh Kirkwood Johnston (1844), who had emigrated from Scotland in 1853 with his father and siblings. After he completed school, Johnston worked in gas and steam fittings for three years until he became a blacksmith. He worked at this until he enlisted in Company K, 97th Illinois Infantry on July 25, 1862. He served throughout the Civil War and was mustered out as a Sergeant-Major in July 1865. He returned to work as a blacksmith...
Dates: Created: 1884-1960
Abstract The Sangamo Electric Company was a manufacturer of electrical equipment (meters, time switches, capacitors, sonar equipment, and radio condensers and transformers). The company incorporated in 1899; the Springfield plant closed in 1978.
Dates: Created: 1895-1972; Other: Majority of material found in 1897-1956