Showing Collections: 1 - 9 of 9
Collection — Box: 58
Scope and Contents 72 letters to Edwin P. Reese discuss his writing, work on new ed. of Spoon River, Atlantis, Mirage and a book about his father. Also several mentions of Clarence Darrow and his work on the Leopold-Loeb case and his and William Jennings Bryan on the Scopes trial. He writes at length about Bryan in several letters. He also gives his opinions of Carl Sandburg, Theodore Dreiser and Amy Lowell. Occasional mention of politics and opinions of Calvin Coolidge. Occasional mention of his son, Hardin, his...
Dates: Created: 1924 - 1942
Collection — Box: 68
Scope and Contents Handwritten manuscript of the poem titled "Lincoln" which he read at the Feb. 11, 1941 celebration of the Mid-Day Luncheon Club.
Dates: Created: 1941
Collection — Box: 2
Scope and Contents Consists of typescripts and drafts of 4 plays and 44 poems written by Hugh O. Argraves of Rockford, Illinois. Many poems concern his service during World War II.
Dates: Created: 1940-1965
Collection — Box: 70
Scope and Contents Poem recounting life in the Sangamon River Valley. Typed and signed by author.
Dates: Created: April 1942
Collection — Box: 96
Scope and Contents Account book listing assets of store which Horace Mason Howard (Wells's brother) sold to Sullivan Howard (Wells's father) on October 1, 1861, also poetry and other writings by Wells on later pages; newspaper clippings and obituary about Wells.
Dates: Created: 1861 - 1948
Collection — Box: 60
Scope and Contents Correspondence is mostly of the Thomas family and includes many letters from Julia (Thomas) Barker to Eleanor "Ellen" (Thomas) Miner. In one letter, Julia mentions a visit from Mary and Robert Lincoln and Mary's need to visit her husband's grave. Also includes letters from Julia and Ellen's brother Marshall while attending medical school in Philadelphia; from Jane Pond in Louisiana, whose family headed a girls' seminary there, includes a description, 1851, of Oakland College in Mississippi;...
Dates: Created: 1837 - 1955
Scope and Contents This collection is composed of the personal papers of Marion Priscilla Carpenter Babb (Priscilla M. Babb) including her correspondence, diaries, and original manuscripts of poetry and prose, 1907-1969. The papers are divided into three series, the first contains Babb’s personal correspondence, diaries/journals, primarily from her time as a student at Illinois State Normal University (now Illinois State University), during the late 1920s. This series also includes household financial documents...
Collection — Box: 67
Scope and Contents First and second issue of Vol. 5 compiled in February and April of 1849 consisted of essays and poetry by the members who had as their most frequent themes love, nature, death and moral character.
Dates: Created: 1849
Collection — Box: 68
Scope and Contents Issue number 5 of the first volume of the journal contains essays, poems and short stories on such topics as "Woman", "Reed Bird Shooting, "Lady Fenwick's Monument", "Our Western Home", "Domestic Scene" and eleven other works. Letter, 1856, Salter to Thayer, re: family news.
Dates: Created: 1854 - 1856
- Poets, American--Illinois 3
- Literature 2
- Waverly (Ill.) 2
- Account books 1
- American Civil War--Illinois--101st Infantry 1
- American Civil War--Illinois--144th Infantry 1
- American Civil War--letters and diaries 1
- Correspondence schools and courses 1
- Diaries 1
- Dramatists, American--Illinois. 1
- Education and schooling 1
- Essays 1
- Frontier and pioneer life 1
- Obituaries 1
- Pullman Strike, 1894 1
- Rockford (Ill.) 1
- Sangamon River (Ill.) 1
- Women -- Societies and clubs 1
- World War II, 1939-1945 1 ∧ less
- Lincoln, Abraham, 1809-1865 2
- Argraves, Hugh Oliver, 1922-2010 1
- Babb, Claude C. 1
- Babb, Priscilla M., 1903-1969 1
- Barker family 1
- Bryan, William Jennings, 1860-1925 1
- Darrow, Clarence, 1857-1938 1
- Dreiser, Theodore, 1871-1945 1
- Hawthorne family 1
- Howard, Horace M., 1837-1916 1
- Howard, Sullivan, 1806-1888 1
- Lowell, Amy, 1874-1925 1
- Masters, Edgar Lee, 1868-1950 1
- Miller, Margaret 1
- Miner family 1
- Monticello College 1
- Morgan County Medical Society 1
- Oakland College (Miss.) 1
- Reese, Edwin Parsons, 1867-1940 1
- Renne, Louis O. (Louis Obed), 1873-1968 1
- Salter, Bessie 1
- Sandburg, Carl, 1878-1967 1
- Thayer, Helen 1
- Thayer, Howard 1
- Thomas family 1
- Vierick, George Sylvster 1
- Waverly Literary Sociey (Ill.) 1
- Wells, Mattie C. Howard (Martha Caroline Howard), 1847-1948 1 ∧ less