Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
Collection — Box: 58
Scope and Contents Handwritten manuscript of speech given in Jacksonville, vehemently opposing the Nebraska Bill. Includes several news clippings regarding the bill and various states and cities opposition to it. One pamphlet from the committee appointed by the trustees of the Illinois Conference Female Seminary regarding payment from those who owe the the school money. Mather was the treasurer of the committee.
Dates: Created: 1854
Collection — Box: 78
Scope and Contents Upon request from Simeon Whiteley he writes his recollections, 8 pages, of the Editorial Convention held in Decatur, Illinois and comprised of about 18 editors in the state who were opposed to the Kansas-Nebraska Bill. Gives list of those who attended and the topics they discussed including the formation of the Republican Party and their support for Mr. Lincoln as U.S. Senator. Letter, March 25, 1886, reassures that the convention was in 1856 and that he will cooperate with the plan for a...
Dates: Created: March 12 and 15, 1886
Collection — Box: 66
Scope and Contents Letter signed by members of the Whig Party in Peoria, Ill. to Abraham Lincoln asking him to reply to a speech to be given by Judge Douglas on the Kansas-Nebraska Bill.
Dates: Created: September 28, 1856
Collection — Box: 2
Scope and Contents Consists of several letters and documents including: one letter of William B. Archer to Charles R. Matheny, January 28, 1826, enclosing a map, survey, and report on a recently established road from Springfield to Paris, Illinois; several Black Hawk War documents (receipts, muster rolls), 1832; an 1833 letter from John M. Robinson concerning land office business and Black Hawk War claims; two letters from Robinson concerning mail routes and a state road from Danville, Illinois to Chicago; five...
Dates: Created: 1826-1856
- Anti-Nebraska Editorial Convention (Decatur, Ill.) 1
- Archer, William B., 1792-1870 1
- Bromwell, Henry Pelham Holmes,, 1823-1903 1
- Colton, Rufus 1
- Douglas, Stephen A. (Stephen Arnold), 1813-1861 1
- Dulaney, Robert Leroy,, 1818-1903 1
- Gooding, William, 1803-1878 1
- Job, Archibald, 1784-1874 1
- Lincoln, Abraham, 1809-1865 1
- Matheny, Charles R.,, 1786-1839 1
- Mathers, John, b. 1814 1
- Republican Party (Ill.) 1
- Republican Party (U.S. : 1854- ) 1
- Robinson, John McCracken, 1794-1843 1
- Selby, Paul, 1825-1913 1
- Stevens, Frank Everett, 1856-1939 1
- Sumner, Charles, 1811-1874 1
- Whig Party (Peoria, Ill.) 1
- Whiteley, Simeon 1 ∧ less