Showing Collections: 1 - 8 of 8
Collection — Box: 66
Scope and Contents Letter to New York Governor Horatio Seymour re: the determination of Lincoln, his cabinet to make no compromise that would "sever the nation" and the Democratic Party's need to support "the integrity of the Union."
Dates: Created: January 29, 1863
Collection — Box: 96
Scope and Contents 26 letters from various contacts in Washington, DC and elsewhere in January-February 1861 concerning Lincoln's selection of a cabinet and Welles's chances of beinging a cabinet member, as well as other issues of the period; April 1868 letter from Welles to Henry Stanbery answering questions related to the impeachment of Andrew Johnson; annotated manuscript, partial draft of an account of the attempted influence of William H. Seward and his allies in the selection of Lincoln's cabinet. Also an...
Dates: Created: 1835 - 1861
Collection — Box: 63
Scope and Contents Document signed, 1854, as Assistant School Commissioner of Pike County verifying qualifications of teacher, Jeptha Hobbs. April 1864 letter to Jackson Grimshaw discussing the political situation prior to Lincoln's second nomination. March 1865 letter to C.A. Dana requesting pass for nephew of Thomas Cross "a colored servant in the Executive Mansion." Feb. 1878 letter to Frank W. Ballard of the New York Evening Mail re: allegation of Almquist as Lincoln secretary. March 1866 letter to Ben W....
Dates: Created: 1854 - 1899
Collection — Box: 64
Scope and Contents Letter sent from Lisbon to James E. Harvey, the U.S. Minister for Portugal, regarding newspaper articles attacking Harvey. States he is certain that Harvey has the support of the government and it would be unwise for him to withdraw and return home. O'Sullivan states that he is giving advice as one who previously held Harvey's office and has great sympathy for him but does not support his party. Includes original signed letter and typescript.
Dates: Created: July 15, 1861
Collection — Box: 67
Scope and Contents Letter to New York Governor Horatio Seymour regarding the support for McClellan shown among Democrats at the convention, the dissatisfaction in the Mississippi valley towards Lincoln and his policies and the fallacious story that General Cass is supporting Lincoln. Asks for acknowledgement of the letter because "Lincoln's postmasters ... sometimes looking into other people's letters."
Dates: Created: September 21, 1864
Collection — Box: 62
Scope and Contents Letter to Governor Horatio Seymour of New York expressing his views on the political situation and the war, and the Secretary of War's proposals for financing the war.
Dates: Created: January 10, 1862
Collection — Box: 65
Scope and Contents Autographs of the delegates from the 21 states, including that of John Tyler.
Dates: Created: February 1861
Collection — Box: 66
Scope and Contents Letter, May 25, 1864, to Senator Gilbert of New York stating he will not bind himself to any candidate, believing this the best way to defeat Lincoln. Feels Fremont is the best man. Letter, Sept. 23, to J.W. Parker re: date of a lecture.
Dates: Created: May 25 and September 23, 1864
- Subject: United States--Politics and government--1861-1865 X
- American Civil War, 1861-1865 2
- American Civil War--Finances and economics 1
- American Civil War--United States--Navy 1
- Autograph albums 1
- Cabinet officers--United States 1
- Democratic National Convention (1864 : Chicago, Ill.) 1
- Diplomats--United States 1
- Mississippi River Valley 1
- Patronage, political 1
- Portugal--Politics and government--1789-1900 1
- Schools 1
- Teachers 1
- United States--Politics and government 1
- United States. Navy 1
- Women--Suffrage--United States 1 ∧ less
- Lincoln, Abraham, 1809-1865 5
- Seymour, Horatio, 1810-1886 3
- Almqvist, C. J. L. (Carl Jonas Love), 1793-1866 1
- Cass, Lewis, 1782-1866 1
- Conference Convention (1861 : Washington, D.C.) 1
- Dixon, James, 1814-1873 1
- Fogg, George Gilman, 1813-1881 1
- Frémont, John Charles, 1813-1890 1
- Harvey, James E., 1820- 1
- Johnson, Andrew, 1808-1875 1
- King, Preston, 1806-1865 1
- McClellan, George B. (George Brinton), 1826-1885 1
- Nelson, Samuel, 1792-1873 1
- Nicolay, John G. (John George), 1832-1901 1
- O'Sullivan, John L. (John Louis), 1813-1895 1
- Phillips, Wendell, 1811-1884 1
- Pierrepont, Edwards, 1817-1892 1
- Porter, Samuel Humes 1
- Seward, William H. (William Henry), 1801-1872 1
- Stanbery, Henry, 1803-1881 1
- Tyler, John, 1790-1862 1
- Weed, Thurlow, 1797-1882 1
- Welles, Gideon, 1802-1878 1 ∧ less