Showing Collections: 1 - 5 of 5
Collection — Box: 90
Scope and Contents Copies of one letter, 1819, from his grandfather in Maine to Hugh McClintock in Belleville, Ill. discussing the guardianship and welfare of his grandchildren. Copy of letter from Amos, 1843, in Springfield, Ill. to William Davis in Belleville discussing "districting the state", bills about personal property taxation and "interest on money" and the Canal Bill. Copy of a poem written by Thompson in 1824 re: the election and slavery. Copy of an 1898 reminiscence re: his family's trip to Illinois,...
Dates: Created: 1819 - 1898
Collection — Box: 70
Scope and Contents Six letters, 1823-1854, to Reynolds family in Tennessee discusses family news, land conditions in Illinois, some of his land deals and current events on a state and national level, including his swearing in as governor, the Illinois Michigan Canal, railroads and his allegiance to Jackson. Letter, July 1829, to J.M. Peck re: running for governor and Peck's school and work. Letter, May 1831, re: Meeting at Vandalia in June to select seminary lands probably along the canal route. Letter, July 8,...
Dates: Created: 1823 - 1858
Collection — Box: 75
Scope and Contents Letter to Edwin D. Morgan, Governor of New York, discussing the reaction of Lincoln and Seward to proposed enlargements of the New York and the Illinois-Michigan canals.
Dates: Created: November 28, 1862
Collection — Box: 70
Scope and Contents Unknown author giving report on his trip to Illinois evaluating opportunities for real estate investment, specifically property along the Illinois-Michigan canal. Cites St. Louis as possibly "the future metropolis" of the union and Peoria as "the future seat of government in Illinois. Gives his estimates of future value of land in Chicago, Aurora, Peru, Wilmington, Dixon, St. Louis and Peoria.
Dates: Created: September 11, 1845
Collection — Box: 2
Scope and Contents Consists of several letters and documents including: one letter of William B. Archer to Charles R. Matheny, January 28, 1826, enclosing a map, survey, and report on a recently established road from Springfield to Paris, Illinois; several Black Hawk War documents (receipts, muster rolls), 1832; an 1833 letter from John M. Robinson concerning land office business and Black Hawk War claims; two letters from Robinson concerning mail routes and a state road from Danville, Illinois to Chicago; five...
Dates: Created: 1826-1856
- Subject: Illinois and Michigan Canal (Ill.) X
- Archer, William B., 1792-1870 1
- Barker family (Belleville, Ill.) 1
- Barker, Caleb, d. 1859 1
- Bromwell, Henry Pelham Holmes,, 1823-1903 1
- Colton, Rufus 1
- Douglas, Stephen A. (Stephen Arnold), 1813-1861 1
- Dulaney, Robert Leroy,, 1818-1903 1
- Gooding, William, 1803-1878 1
- Jackson, Andrew, 1767-1845 1
- Job, Archibald, 1784-1874 1
- Lincoln, Abraham, 1809-1865 1
- Matheny, Charles R.,, 1786-1839 1
- Morgan, Edwin D. (Edwin Denison), 1811-1883 1
- Peck, John Mason, 1789-1858 1
- Republican Party (U.S. : 1854- ) 1
- Reynolds family 1
- Reynolds, John, 1788-1865 1
- Robinson, John McCracken, 1794-1843 1
- Ruggles, Samuel B. (Samuel Bulkley), 1800-1881 1
- Seward, William H. (William Henry), 1801-1872 1
- Stevens, Frank Everett, 1856-1939 1
- Sumner, Charles, 1811-1874 1
- Thompson family (Belleville, Ill.) 1
- Thompson, Amos, 1807-1901 1 ∧ less